Support for CF cards to cater for D-SLR users

Post all the new features you would like our engineering team to work on here

Support for CF cards to cater for D-SLR users

Postby jakjak444 on Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:53 pm

I own and use a digital SLR camera and would like to see the Eye-Fi card be available in CF cards as well being available in larger capacities and boasting higher transfer speeds
As i and many other D-SLR users shoot in raw i would also like to see all or most raw formats supported by this device
jakjak444

Re: Support for CF cards to cater for D-SLR users

Postby TitusCooker on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:47 am

I agree. I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT and would like to use the Eye-Fi card, but the camera doesn't support a CF to SD adapter. A CF version of eye-fi would be great, as well as some of the larger capacities above 2GB (but I could live with that to start).
titus
TitusCooker

Postby fordag on Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:56 pm

Yes please add the cards in CF format. I shoot with a Canon 10D & 5D.

David
fordag

Postby bryanjphotography on Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:27 pm

Absolutely agree, preferably UDMA CF, 300x speed, RAW and Ad-Hoc support with greater range. $200 USD for such a device would fly out of my pocket if that were the asking price and I'd probably part with more $$$ if necessary. I personally would be plenty happy with the current 2GB size as I'd be offloading the images as I was taking them.

I suspect the pro-sumer and professional photographer are a better market for wireless solutions then the current market the current models are designed for.
bryanjphotography

Postby Radmanmike on Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:45 am

I also would love this... I shoot a D3 and currently using a adapter it works but the range in really reduced.
Radmanmike

Postby SCRich on Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:45 am

I have a 10D... can anyone say what CF adapters work ?
SCRich

Postby hyachts on Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:24 am

SCRich wrote:I have a 10D... can anyone say what CF adapters work ?

The one I bought from Photojojo.com worked well. I don't recall the brand, but they sell it specifically for use with the Eye-Fi card so you can be reasonably confident they've tested it.
hyachts

Postby Radmanmike on Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:47 am

This is the one that I purchased. As I stated it works but distance is reduced significantly because of the adapter.

http://www.synchrotech.com/
Radmanmike

Postby hyachts on Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:46 am

Radmanmike wrote:This is the one that I purchased. As I stated it works but distance is reduced significantly because of the adapter.

http://www.synchrotech.com/

Is there the option of removing metal sheathing from this adapter? The one I purchased had sheetmetal panels on either side of the adapter that I was able to pop off. It exposed the underlying circuitry but improved my range significantly. Since I rarely have to take the card out of the camera, I figured the risk was worth it. Of course, I wouldn't recommend anyone do anything that might ruin their adapter :mrgreen:
hyachts

Postby filmcraft on Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:15 pm

Just an FYI to anyone with a Canon 5D camera. I am using it with no problems. I shoot in AUTOMATIC mode (jpg) no Raw. Works just fine with a CF-SD adapter I bought on ebay, some generic kind. Ebay Keywords : Eye-Fi Compact Flash
filmcraft

Postby TheSlasher on Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:20 pm

Just make sure it's a CF Type I card as some cameras, like Nikon's new D700, don't support Type II cards.
TheSlasher

Postby gwbowers on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:07 pm

Brilliant Product.... But would like CF version frameword with your 'smarty brains' that would accept SD-format cards(brawn) if that will bring more variety of speed to market faster.

To simplify , would it be possible just to provide the 'smarts' (synchronization) and radio interface in the larger CF-sized format(along w/better antenna gain0... and a SD memory slot for using our existing memory products? This would allow us to use existing high-capacity sdhc cards (or other regular sd cards) of any capacity, and let you guys focus on the radio/synchronization firmware. A little slide switch (or special SD 'loopback' card that you recognize could allow firmware updates ... or web-enabled).

I've really gone into CF, but still have a stack of SD cards.. And, as with most DSLR users, camera has good memory buffer .. (I've never filled up 29 JPEG/RAW shots in a row..)
gwbowers

Postby gwbowers on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:18 pm

RAW support is HUGE! (Nikon = .NEF).

From the web/settings interface, I'd like to be able to prioritize which pics get pushed first.. if there happens to be a 3-shot burst of Jpeg+Raw arriving together... In the example below, assume I take a 3-shot sequence as quickly as the camera can fire, outputting both jpeg and nikon RAW(nef) format.)

Example:
Let me control the settings to prioritize wireless transmission queues:
Pick Jpeg priority first (eg. 001.jpg, 002.jpg, 003.jpg, 001.nef, 002.nef, 003.nef)
-or- arrival priority first (001.jpg, 001.nef, 002.jpg, 002.nef, 003.jpg, 003.nef),
-or- Raw Priority first (001.nef, 002.nef, 003.nef, 001.jpg, 002.jpg, 003.jpg)

It would also be great to allow automatic removal of picutes once transmission to target is confirmed.. Chooseable!
Professionals may NEVER use it, but 'just a few snaps at the party' may want to let them be managed.
gwbowers

Postby rileykaminer on Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:24 pm

I totally agree--this is a VERY necessary feature for Eye-Fi to branch out for advanced and professional photographers that use DSLRs with CF cards only exclusively.

Riley
------
Riley Kaminer
RileyKaminer.com
twitter.com/rileykaminer
rileykaminer

Postby cliffcoy on Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:07 am

I use a Jobo adapter from bhphotovideo.com in my D-300. It has a CF-II form factor though. Since my access point is in the next room, I have not noticed any problems with signal strength.
cliffcoy

Postby yagelski on Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:23 pm

In hope that more requests will eventually make it happen...

Please provide support for CF cards. A 'moderate cost' alternative to professional devices would be appreciated by those of us who are serious hobbyists operating under frugal means.

Thank you!
yagelski

Postby BellaVistaStudio on Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:48 am

I have been using a the SD EyeFi card with a CF adapter in my 50D and 20D DSLR. I had to remove the metal shields from the adapter to get more range. In this business range is everything. I use a D-link wireless router DWL-G730AP with a USB battery pack that I carry with me. This way the EyeFi card is closest to the router where the wireless is weakest. The router to computer wireless is much stronger, allow me to walk around and still transmit photos wirelessly.

Simply the professional SLR camera's are made more rugged than consumer point and shoot. The DSLR card slot has metal all around and because of this the WiFi connection is severly degraded. Any additional metal shielding such as those on CF adapters, signal degradation is increased. One easy way to get more range is to have an antenna sticking out of the card slot. Unless your willing to cut holes in the $$$ camera, obviuosly not going to happen, something else needs to be done.

So EyeFi team, if you are able to put 2GB of memory and WiFi in an SD card case, there much much much more room in a CF card case to put 2GB and WiFi with a stronger transmitter and/or better antenna. Hint, place the antenna so that it is closest to out side of the SLR camera (on the other end of the CF card pins). If you need help to design this let me know, I provide electrical engineering consulting services as well as a freelance photogragher.

Thanks in advance.
www.bellavistastudios.com
BellaVistaStudio

Postby x2611 on Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:41 am

I have a bad feeling that the reason for no CF(DSLR) support is major camera makers "opposition" to it. It would seriously reduce sales of their overpriced WiFi grips. How they achieve this, I will leave up to your imagination. However, I hope I am proven wrong quickly. :|
x2611

Postby Radmanmike on Thu May 21, 2009 8:27 am

Support for CF cards has kinda dropped off the radar and want to bring this back up. I current use and adapter for my wifi card and would love to have a CP flash card with longer range.

Thanks,
Mike
Radmanmike

Postby x2611 on Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:03 am

I'm going to bump this as well. Seems like Eye-Fi is ignoring this topic on purpose.
So what's it going to be Eye-Fi? You could at least take the time to tell us to shut up and forget about it.
Anything is better than this silence. The kickbacks must be too good it seems.
x2611

Postby berend on Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:50 pm

x2611 wrote:Seems like Eye-Fi is ignoring this topic on purpose.
So what's it going to be Eye-Fi? You could at least take the time to tell us to shut up and forget about it.

We're not ignoring anything and we've acknowledged that we hear the requests, but we are not at liberty to discuss every minutia of technical and business constraints that we juggle, nor comment on future product plans on a public forum.

The kickbacks must be too good it seems.

Huh? I have to apologize, that one went over my head...

Berend
berend
Eye-Fi'er

Using CF adapters with Eye-Fi cards

Postby Richard_xeon on Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:33 pm

Eye-Fi tech support says that they don't recommend using an SD to CF adapter, in fact they claim that it may work for a while but will damage the Eye-Fi card. He didn't say why. I can imagine that it could overheat with the RF energy being absorbed by the adapter or something. Who knows. Has anyone used an Eye-Fi card in a CF adapter for long shoots and over multiple months and not suffered any damage? I can't think of any reason they would discourage using an adapter if it really doesn't cause any problems. Perhaps some adapters are ok and some not?
Richard_xeon

Re: Using CF adapters with Eye-Fi cards

Postby hyachts on Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:06 am

Richard_xeon wrote:Eye-Fi tech support says that they don't recommend using an SD to CF adapter, in fact they claim that it may work for a while but will damage the Eye-Fi card. He didn't say why. I can imagine that it could overheat with the RF energy being absorbed by the adapter or something. Who knows. Has anyone used an Eye-Fi card in a CF adapter for long shoots and over multiple months and not suffered any damage? I can't think of any reason they would discourage using an adapter if it really doesn't cause any problems. Perhaps some adapters are ok and some not?

I have used it for long shoots and over a long period of time (approaching two years) with no adverse affect on the card. The reason they don't support it is that it causes occasional file corruption - something I've seen on several occasions. Just based on my limited experience, it seems to happen much more frequently when the card is full - if I keep the card below about half capacity I almost never see problems.
hyachts

Postby watkinssr on Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:38 am

Range is a concern, but speed is a bigger deal. Even the pro x2 is only class 6, CF cards are much much faster than that. The 1DII and III have an SD slot, and 8 GB would be fine with auto upload but I would find myself constantly waiting on the card to shoot, and I cant afford to miss shots. It's ironic, the biggest market for something like this would be the pros--but we use CF cards almost exclusively.
watkinssr

Postby berend on Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:38 am

watkinssr wrote:Range is a concern, but speed is a bigger deal. Even the pro x2 is only class 6, CF cards are much much faster than that. The 1DII and III have an SD slot, and 8 GB would be fine with auto upload but I would find myself constantly waiting on the card to shoot, and I cant afford to miss shots.

Since you mentioned the Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III, take a look at this table to see how its benchmarked write speed compares between SanDisk Extreme Ducati CF cards and SanDisk Extreme III (class 6) SD cards:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera ... =6007-9256

Basically 19.8 MB/s (CF) vs 15.7 MB/s (SD) with RAW and 16.4 MB/s (CF) vs 13.5 MB/s (SD) with JPEG, a difference of ~23%. Does that really translate to "much much faster" and "constantly waiting on the card to shoot?" For the record, I'm being generous to the CF argument here because had I picked the 1D Mark III instead of the 1Ds Mark III, the numbers are actually in SD's favor, as you can see from Rob Galbraith's tables.

Please understand that my intent is not to change your (or anyone else's) mind about CF - I understand completely the desire for and the importance of investment-protection in CF-only camera bodies, but I do believe the practical speed difference between CF and SD (class 6) cards is often overstated.

It's ironic, the biggest market for something like this would be the pros--but we use CF cards almost exclusively.

If the definition of "pro" is "anyone who earns a living through photography," then I humbly disagree with you. There are lots of "pro" photography businesses and individuals, that cater to everything from the studio portrait and glamor photography to wedding and other celebration photography to "sit on Santa Clause's lap" mall photography to amateur sporting event photography (triathlons, equestrian, etc.), none of which require extremely high shot rates or CF-only camera bodies. If, however, the definition of "pro" is the truly upper echelon of news, magazine, sports and art photography, then you may be right about the needs, but then it may not be quite so clear whether that addressable market is bigger than the consumer one.

Good night,

Berend
berend
Eye-Fi'er

Postby watkinssr on Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:08 pm

berend wrote:
watkinssr wrote:Range is a concern, but speed is a bigger deal. Even the pro x2 is only class 6, CF cards are much much faster than that. The 1DII and III have an SD slot, and 8 GB would be fine with auto upload but I would find myself constantly waiting on the card to shoot, and I cant afford to miss shots.

Since you mentioned the Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III, take a look at this table to see how its benchmarked write speed compares between SanDisk Extreme Ducati CF cards and SanDisk Extreme III (class 6) SD cards:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera ... =6007-9256

Basically 19.8 MB/s (CF) vs 15.7 MB/s (SD) with RAW and 16.4 MB/s (CF) vs 13.5 MB/s (SD) with JPEG, a difference of ~23%. Does that really translate to "much much faster" and "constantly waiting on the card to shoot?" For the record, I'm being generous to the CF argument here because had I picked the 1D Mark III instead of the 1Ds Mark III, the numbers are actually in SD's favor, as you can see from Rob Galbraith's tables.

Please understand that my intent is not to change your (or anyone else's) mind about CF - I understand completely the desire for and the importance of investment-protection in CF-only camera bodies, but I do believe the practical speed difference between CF and SD (class 6) cards is often overstated.

No, it's not. CLass 6 is a min speed rating of 6 mb per sec. SanDisk extreme III cards are considerably faster than that min speed, and that's pretty rare. Unless you can show info that the eyefi cards are as fast as the streme III (at class 6 it can be anywhere between 6mb and up) (I was unable to find anything that gave the actual speed). The sandisk extreme iv for instance is 40mb per sec...much much much faster. And although the 1dIII for instance wont take advantage of all of that, it still does make a significant difference in camera. In a 1dIV it would be even more so

It's ironic, the biggest market for something like this would be the pros--but we use CF cards almost exclusively.

If the definition of "pro" is "anyone who earns a living through photography," then I humbly disagree with you. There are lots of "pro" photography businesses and individuals, that cater to everything from the studio portrait and glamor photography to wedding and other celebration photography to "sit on Santa Clause's lap" mall photography to amateur sporting event photography (triathlons, equestrian, etc.), none of which require extremely high shot rates or CF-only camera bodies. If, however, the definition of "pro" is the truly upper echelon of news, magazine, sports and art photography, then you may be right about the needs, but then it may not be quite so clear whether that addressable market is bigger than the consumer one.

Good night,

Berend

I know all kinds of pros, in every imaginable type, in all the above lines of photography. While not all of them shoot high speed, most of them shoot DSLR's that use CF cards, and with the huge file size of images in a modern dslr write speed is critical.
watkinssr

Postby mattnelson on Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:46 am

I'd just like to add my vote to have CF cards as well. Currently I'm using a 4GB Explore Video in a CF adapter that I pulled all the metal off of in a Nikon D200 and it gets somewhat reasonable range. Strange but sometimes the preview on my camera looks as thought the picture is corrupt, but they upload just fine. Not sure if some RF noise from the camera is causing problems (or more likely the RF from the card is causing the camera to malfunction) but as long as the pictures look right on the computer then I can live with it.
mattnelson

Postby rojoyinc on Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:25 pm

I USE SD that's fine, but I'd rather use CF cards (I shoot 1DmkII and 1DsmkII) if it meant a longer range/antenna inside.

I'd really like 100-120 ft (though a house/studio wall) ish range.
rojoyinc

Postby pplhome on Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:39 am

I use Photofast CR-7000 SDHC to CF adapter + Eye-Fi Video share card 4GB. for my Canon 5D DSLR
It works normally.
pplhome

Postby posicat on Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:24 am

I'd imagine the big problem with the CF->SD adapters is the big chunk of metal that would be right up against the Eye-Fi card. It's part of the CF card spec for it to be there, so most adapters have this. This metal would interfere with the Wifi signals from the card, causing it to ramp up it's transmit power, and over time would start to burn out the transmitter chip.

If you could find one that's all plastic, or feel like risking damage to your card to remove those shields, I imagine the Eye-Fi would be fairly happy in those card. The other issue could be, however that your camera might have a metal slot that the CF card slides into. I wouldn't recommend removing that, and that could cause the same problem with burning out the Eye-Fi.
posicat

Next

Return to Feature Requests