Canon 7D Raw+JPG - How to configure so download only JPG

Thinking about buying a card? New owner with questions? Join in and learn more.

Canon 7D Raw+JPG - How to configure so download only JPG

Postby daymogue on Mon May 07, 2012 1:57 pm

I have read that all I need to do to configure my eye-fi card to download only JPG to my device (leaving the RAW on the card) is to "turn off wireless transfer of RAW images in the Eye-Fi Center software" (from a 2008 post). I must be blind because I can not find where to do this - maybe the software has been upgraded since then and this feature is no longer available?? The alternative of setting the card to Selective Transfer mode is not suitable because the Canon 7D software does not let me easily protect/lock images. I have to do each image by hand which is time consuming and annoying. Does anyone know how to get this to work for a Canon 7D? I just want the JPG files to download. Thanks.
daymogue

Re: Canon 7D Raw+JPG - How to configure so download only JPG

Postby MikeV on Tue May 08, 2012 7:03 am

What kind of Eye-Fi card do you have? If you don't have a Pro card, then you don't need to worry about RAW transfer, because only the Pro card will transfer RAW files. The setting for RAW won't appear if your card doesn't support RAW transfer.

If you do have a Pro card, then in Eye-Fi Center under the settings for the card, there will be icons at the top for Photos, RAW, and Videos... Click RAW, then uncheck the option to upload to the computer.
My cameras: Nikon D90, Panasonic ZS7
My Eye-Fi: 8GB Pro X2
MikeV

Postby daymogue on Tue May 08, 2012 1:26 pm

It is an 8GB + WiFi Pro | X2. I have the RAW checkbox unchecked for "this computer". The status says "'Eye-Fi Card' is currently uploading file to 'iPad'. I want the JPG files to go to the iPad, just not the RAW. Should I return the Pro and buy a different card?
daymogue

Postby MikeV on Wed May 09, 2012 9:47 am

Ok... then on the iPad, in the settings for your card, you will need to change the setting to not have RAW files be downloaded (Tap the Settings gear > Eye-Fi Card Settings > [your Eye-Fi card] > Receive Media > Set RAW Photos to OFF).

Whether or not you should return the Pro card is up to you. The Pro card has two features the others don't include but can be added for a fee, and one feature that the others don't have at all. The two features not included with the other cards are the WiFi geotagging and 1 year of hotspot access. The feature not possible on the other cards is RAW upload. If you don't care about any of these features, then it might be worthwhile to return the Pro card and go with an 8GB Mobile card instead. But if you think you might use the geotagging or RAW upload features, or will definitely use the Hotspot feature over the next year, then you may want to keep the card you have.
My cameras: Nikon D90, Panasonic ZS7
My Eye-Fi: 8GB Pro X2
MikeV

Postby daymogue on Fri May 11, 2012 11:12 am

Ok - I thought for sure this would fix it because the setting was set to RAW = On. So I followed your directions and changed the setting, but it is still downloads both JPG and RAW to the iPad. I even tried, on the iPad, logging out of the app and deleting the Profile and logging back in an re-installed the profile. I had to reset the settings for RAW = Off. Still downloads both. Is Eye-Fi confused over Canon RAW file types (.CR2) maybe?
daymogue

Postby daymogue on Fri May 11, 2012 4:43 pm

OK - So I turned everything off and went away for a few hours. When I came back, I tried it again just to see if it would work and it now only transmits the JPG file. Thanks for your help.
daymogue

Postby happygirl83 on Thu May 17, 2012 10:41 am

It's not going to work.
happygirl83

Return to Beginners