Outside US

iPhone related discussion relating to the Eye-Fi app for the iPhone

Outside US

Postby osonvisen on Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:35 am

Too bad this isn't available outside of the US.. I love my Eye-Fi card, and I'd love to have this service also on my iPhone.
Does we know when this will be available in Norway too?
osonvisen

Re: Outside US

Postby robin1997 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:55 am

I second that!
Is there any chance I might be able to download the iphone app in Italy? :(
robin1997

Postby Carl on Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:49 am

and what about France? I couldn't wait to have the app and now will probably have to wait a bit more...

It's pity as I have been posting myself an iPhone application and I know it's a very simple matter to make an app available in abroad stores. Please Eye-Fi, you know many of us use your cards outside of the US, let us play with the app too. We're your best ambassadors...

Carl

PS: Carl says Hi to Ziv... ;-)
Carl

Postby byterider on Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:37 am

Me too, I live in Switzerland, and I'm using an Eye-Fi Explore.

I'm disappointed that I cannot download the iPhone app :cry:
byterider

No Eye.fi in .fi

Postby dumell on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:20 am

My Eye-Fi Classic and my Eye-Fi Explorer works fine here in Finland but I can't install the iPhone application since it's not available in the Finnish App Store. Please, the .fi in the eye.fi -domain stands for Finland, how's that for irony?
dumell

Postby robin1997 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:32 am

Hi,
I contacted customer support on this. Though you might be interested in their reply (not very helpful perhaps):

Thank you for contacting Eye-Fi. Unfortunately, because we have not passed compliance tests in countries other than the United States, Canada and Japan, the iPhone App is also not available in any countries outside the previous.

You can stay up to date via our mailing list at http://www.eye.fi/blog/mailing-list/

Any of you know what this is about?
robin1997

Postby berend on Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:42 am

robin1997 wrote:Any of you know what this is about?

Sure. Given that Eye-Fi has not completed compliance testing of the Eye-Fi Card products in all geographies and made them available for sale and the the Eye-Fi iPhone application is a complement to said Eye-Fi Cards and requires an active Eye-Fi account, Eye-Fi is not ready to support the application in geographies where the cards are not on sale officially and is therefore not distributing the application. Yet.

Berend
berend
Eye-Fi'er

Postby robin1997 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:19 am

berend wrote:
robin1997 wrote:Any of you know what this is about?

Sure. Given that Eye-Fi has not completed compliance testing of the Eye-Fi Card products in all geographies and made them available for sale and the the Eye-Fi iPhone application is a complement to said Eye-Fi Cards and requires an active Eye-Fi account, Eye-Fi is not ready to support the application in geographies where the cards are not on sale officially and is therefore not distributing the application. Yet.

Berend

... I did appreciate the "yet" bit! :D
robin1997

Postby byterider on Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:43 am

I wonder what the reasoning behind it is.

Do they fear legal problems, or support issues because of non-native english speaking customers?

It doesn't make much sense to me, since the iPhone app only complements the card.
Even if using the card is not allowed in a specific country, using the app is always OK.

So what about all the people who buy stuff on Ebay or while on vacation in the US?
People with friends or relatives in the US, contractors, expats, business travelers, etc...
They are paying customers too, and probably spreading the word on facebook and twitter.

I can totally understand that they'd want to support only a few markets at a time.
But blocking downloads of the app seems a bit extreme.
byterider

Postby robin1997 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:03 am

I agree with byterider. I bought my card legally through an internet vendor but I could have just as well bought it in the US while there for business a few months ago. This is why I thought the Eye-fi answer was not satisfactory. And in any case the iPhone app would not really conflict with any country-specific regulation, would it? Anyway, here's hoping this will be solved soon.
robin1997

Postby xor2k on Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:51 pm

I'm in the German AppStore, suffering the same problem.

Eye-fi could offer the application on Cydia, so that at least jailbroken iPhone users could use it!
xor2k

Postby xor2k on Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:55 pm

Or could at least someone in the US download the App from the phone on a jailbroken iPhone and send it to me by email?
xor2k

Postby perrin21 on Fri May 22, 2009 1:24 pm

I second this, im in the UK and have an eye-fi, id love to be able to use the iphone app. If someone has jailbroken phone please email me the app too.

Thanks
Mark
perrin21

Postby hyachts on Fri May 22, 2009 5:18 pm

Of course it's a legal issue - that's exactly what Berend said. If the company is marketing the iPhone application as an add-on for card-owning customers and it can not legally sell the cards in a country, it would be - to say the least - legally risky to allow the sale of the application in the same countries. While that might seem overly cautious to some of you, I think it's a perfectly reasonable legal stance to take. Sale of the iPhone application, since it is delineated by country/geography, could be construed as implicitly or even explicitly pushing the sale of a product which is not certified in that country (since you must have a card to use the app).
hyachts

Postby madmunky on Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:59 am

Well this just sucks.... Here I was about to order a card and download the iPhone app and look what I see - not available outside of the US. Good one Eye-Fi - not.
madmunky

Postby eyechris on Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:19 pm

Just switch to the US iTunes store, download the app and off you go. You might need to register an iTunes account with a US address. Not a big deal... works for me ever since I bought the card.
eyechris

Postby YLA G on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:21 am

Said it before..

others don't block the country's even that the product is not officialy in that country.

Last.fm even accept € payments and its forbidden to use in EU.
YLA G

Postby perrin21 on Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:50 am

Are we any closer to getting this app in UK ? Im ready to buy an eyefi Pro, i already have the share video, having the facility on my iphone would be great. Any way of installing it via cydia or SSH or installous.? someone with the app could use crackulous and then make it available on instalous.
perrin21

Postby byterider on Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:21 am

So now it's available in the UK: http://uk.eye.fi/
But still not in the Swiss app store :(
byterider

Postby bRIZZAd on Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:22 am

How about Canada? Can Eye-Fi customers download the iPhone App from there? I've purchased two cards for Christmas, hoping the iPHone App would be part of that... as the two recipients also have iPhones. If they don't end up using the Eye-Fi cards that much, I know for a fact they would use the iPhone App with their Eye-Fi management account.
bRIZZAd

Postby jinjorge on Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:29 am

yes the iPhone app is available in Canada

Jeremiah
jinjorge
Eye-Fi'er

Postby bRIZZAd on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:15 am

jinjorge wrote:yes the iPhone app is available in Canada

Jeremiah

Excellent! Thanks very much.
bRIZZAd

Postby carlosm60 on Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:33 am

Well it is very odd this issue about not being able to sell the cards with out compliance testing as I have just bought my card through the French Apple store and the iPhone application is not on the French apps store. May be Apple is doing a bit of grey trading.
Come on Eye-Fi there are clients who want your products and you are not performing.(including We need another iPhone application)
carlosm60

Postby larsidar on Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:12 pm

Do Eye-Fi have any idea on when this app will be available in other countries? It is possible to buy and use the card all over the world, but Eye-Fi only makes the software available to som countries. Strange.
larsidar

Postby MadDawgJ on Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:52 pm

It is possible to buy and use the card all over the world

Since when?
Eye-Fi Cards are only available in the US, Canada, Japan and the UK, and, no big surprise, that's where the iPhone App is available.
MadDawgJ

Postby larsidar on Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:31 am

MadDawgJ wrote:
It is possible to buy and use the card all over the world

Since when?
Eye-Fi Cards are only available in the US, Canada, Japan and the UK, and, no big surprise, that's where the iPhone App is available.

I forgot the "", the correct is "available". And the answer to your question is: Since the day the products were released and sold in international internet shops. The only information about this from Eye-Fi I have found is:

"Will the Eye-Fi card work outside the USA? The Eye-Fi Card is currently supported in the USA, Canada, the United Kingdom and Japan."

I can buy the pro-card without problems in Europe, and the pro-card is available in Norway throuh Apple Store. I bought my card from B&H two months ago. And when a product is availeble in a EU/EEC-country in Europe, it is practically available to the entire EU-region. And the cards is available in the UK now. I have a lot of co-workers already bought Eye-Fi cards.

I want more information from Eye-Fi why they only support a couple of countries, and the progress about when this will be available in other countries from Eye-Fi.

Eye-Fi have made a brilliant product, or a product with some modifications can be a lot more attractive to proffessional users. I hope that Eye-Fi are working with the availability of the cards.
larsidar

Postby larsidar on Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:14 am

And another question is: Is the availability of the iPhone app a Eye-Fi issue or Apple issue?
larsidar

Postby randhirv on Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:12 am

larsidar wrote:And another question is: Is the availability of the iPhone app a Eye-Fi issue or Apple issue?

We have made the Eye-Fi iPhone app available in all the app store of countries where we sell Eye-Fi cards.
randhirv
Eye-Fi'er

Postby larsidar on Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:34 pm

randhirv wrote:
larsidar wrote:And another question is: Is the availability of the iPhone app a Eye-Fi issue or Apple issue?

We have made the Eye-Fi iPhone app available in all the app store of countries where we sell Eye-Fi cards.

And that is: USA, Canada, Japan and the UK?

Eye-Fi Pro is available in Norway from the official Apple Store:
http://store.apple.com/no/product/TY104 ... TUwMTg5NjM
http://store.apple.com/no/product/TW781 ... TU1MTY3NTU
http://store.apple.com/no/product/TV904 ... TUzMTg5OTU

I checked the countries Sweden, Denmark, France and Holland. The same Eye-Fi cards is available all throughout Europe.

In app store in Norway the app is unavailable.

And your answer do not answer my question; Is this the choice of Eye-Fi or Apple?
larsidar

Postby justcyn on Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:10 am

I live in Norway, and just received my ProX2 card via Amazon.com . I am lucky to have a US iTunes account, so the app was available too. Really pleased. Not sure how anyone manages with a norwegian iTunes account, it is very limited.
justcyn

Return to Eye-Fi App for iOS