Canon T2i - EyeFi Explore X2 8GB

Help troubleshooting your Eye-Fi Card

Canon T2i - EyeFi Explore X2 8GB

Postby greenawayj on Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:40 am

Just got my new Canon T2i last week and did my first real upload last night... I seem to have several errors on the T2i's video file uploads (via Eye-Fi manager). The files (.mov files :-( ) seem to have uploaded fine to my local PC (I think) but not to Picasa? Is this a limitation with Picasa or is there an known issue? Happy to supply additional information if needed.
greenawayj

Re: Canon T2i - EyeFi Explore X2 8GB

Postby MadDawgJ on Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:04 am

Do you have a paid or a free Picasa account? How much space is available in your account?
MadDawgJ

Postby greenawayj on Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:40 am

Paid. I have 200GB (your google promotion...)

All of my pics uploaded perfectly (200 or so 6MB files) but the .mov files did not (I don't know the file size, but the same files uploaded just fine to my home computer space and from there to Picasa (client on Vista) and from there to Picasawebalbums (via Picasa sync).

I am using relayed upload -- it it possible these files were too large for the EyeFi servers?
greenawayj

Postby MadDawgJ on Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:38 pm

When you click on the videos in Manager or Center do they have an error message?
MadDawgJ

Postby greenawayj on Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:46 pm

Yes. In "Manager" the pop-up window shows a thumbnail of the video and the correct geomap of where it was taken and the error:

File Name: MVI_0139.MOV
Delivery Status: Error: File upload was unsuccessful.

I just checked my local (home computer) files and the file sizes for the 5 failed videos are as small as 20MB and as large as 680 MB. Each of these 5 files show an error in the EyeFi manager app.

Thanks for you help in trying to diagnose the issue
greenawayj

Postby MadDawgJ on Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:48 pm

hmmm, my battery for my T2i is dead right now so let me charge it and I will see what happens when I try the same.
MadDawgJ

Postby MadDawgJ on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:32 am

So far we have not been able to replicate this, so I'm still trying to figure out what can be going on here. Are they still showing the same error in Manager? If you take another video does that one go through?
MadDawgJ

Postby greenawayj on Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:35 am

I actually had been a little too busy to try another video. I'll do that later tonight and let you know. Thanks for the continued support.

BTW -- I don't think this should matter but my Eye Fi stuff is running on an HP EX 495 WHS... and I'm currently using EyeFi manager (not center) because of an issue I have with Center where I cannot select a local destination folder for PHOTOS (same dialog box in the Vids tab allows me to point to the vids destination. I posted elsewhere and Sean was helping with that. Sounds like a known issue that will be fixed in the next iteration of Center.)

I also should note that the 5 vids which had an error were part of a MASSIVE upload of about 300 full res pics + 5 Vids... Only the 5 vids had the upload error and even these uploaded appropriately to my local target folder on the WHS.
greenawayj

Postby greenawayj on Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:27 am

Update: So last night I took several videos.

Just like last time, all videos and pics appear correctly in my local EyeFi upload folder so my main cause for concern is alleviated. There were no issues for me to get my content to my local machine which is most important for my use case.

However, Only one of the four vids appears to have worked without error in the EyeFi manager. The one Video.mov file that worked is just 12MB (it was actually a 2 second mistake video that I accidentally took when I thought I was turning off movie mode). This video also appears correctly in the Picasaweb upload album which the EyeFi manager syncs to.

The 3 'real' videos were between 100MB and 250 MB files (1-2 minutes of full HD 1080P video). These 3 vids show the "error" symbol in the EyeFi manager webite are are not uploaded to Picasaweb. I'm thinking this must be due to some file size limitation with Picasaweb. However, when I sync these vids to Picasaweb using the Picasa software, they sync just fine... so maybe its a matter of Picasa app having more privileged or better APIs than you guys have access to use? Don't know.

Anyway, I'm satisfied for now. Though I'm happy to help you diagnose further. Since this camera is pretty awesome and more and more people will be using it (and it's large .mov file sizes), I'm sure I won't be the only one with the issue and Picasaweb. Let me know if there's anything else you'd like me to test out.
greenawayj

Postby MadDawgJ on Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:49 am

Ahhh, ok. For some reason I was under the impression that you where shooting standard definition movies so that is what I was testing with. I am seeing the same issue with uploading a 1080p 30fps .MOV file so the Engineering team is looking into what exactly is happening. I will let you know when we have more info to report. Thanks for your patience on this.
MadDawgJ

Postby greenawayj on Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:54 am

Cool. Thanks.
greenawayj

Postby MadDawgJ on Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:33 am

Ok so here is the issue. Unfortunately your files are greater than 100 MB which is the max video size allowed by the public picasaweb api which is what us, and everyone other than Google themselves, have to use. At this time there is no way around this limit, so it looks like atleast for the time being the way you are doing it now, upload to the computer then using Picasa Desktop to upload to Picasa web, is the best option you have. Sorry for this.
MadDawgJ

Postby MikeV on Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:28 pm

Or you can always pick a different service to upload video to.
My cameras: Nikon D90, Panasonic ZS7
My Eye-Fi: 8GB Pro X2
MikeV

Postby greenawayj on Sat May 01, 2010 8:17 am

That's cool (and understandable really). My "EyeFi uploads" folder on Picasaweb is really just a temporary holding spot anyway until I get to review and group photo / vids, edit, eliminate the junk and duplicates... So I'm not too worried about this. As long as I can review the videos and use Picasa desktop to upload the ones I want to my 200GB of storage, that's good enough for me.

Good for you guys to know though. Might be worth adding as an FAQ or making a change to the SW to show "This video is too large to upload to Picasaweb" rather than just reporting an error.
greenawayj

Postby Gertsen on Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:13 pm

I have the same problem with video over 100 mb. - Picasa now offers free video storage up to 1 GB for each video uplad and max 1000 pr. album = the perfect back of video right now (I might add we have a paid account for pictures backup)

Can you please check with Google - when they play to update the API?
API documentation is not valid because they removed the full HD limitation - Video uploaded are in Full HD and not only 480p.
http://code.google.com/apis/picasaweb/d ... imitations

I have my self writen a post (avaiting approval from moderators) to the Google API
http://groups.google.com/group/google-picasa-data-api
I have proposed at least 300 MB because that is about 1 minute of 1080p video from my Sony A55. (almost every clip I have is under 300 mb)

Please consider posting to Google API forum if you want Google to Up the limitation
http://groups.google.com/group/google-p ... a-api/post

Thanks
Gertsen

Return to Eye-Fi Card