CF to SD adapter

Help troubleshooting your Eye-Fi Card

CF to SD adapter

Postby Ivan on Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:48 pm

Just wanted to know if you folks have tested your card in a CF to SD adapter. My cameras do not have SD card slots.

Thanx
Ivan

Postby hyachts on Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:50 am

Yes, I have one in my Rebel XTi and it works great. The range is reduced from using the card in my SD-card point and shoot, though. Also, I removed the metal covers from the adapter to help with the range issue - before doing that the range was horrible. I expect that will probably shorten the life of the adapter, but since I rarely have to remove the card it shouldn't be a big deal.
hyachts

Postby Ivan on Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:00 am

thank you, I was think about using it in my 5D for studio work. The price of the Eye-Fi and adapter is much much less than getting Canon's grip with wi-fi.
Ivan

eyeFI in CF

Postby PHOTOlink on Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:31 am

make sure your CFa adapter is sdHC
it does indeed work fine, but you are
comparing apples to oranges against
the canon adapter.
canon adapter supports ftp, AD-HOC, and has
an ethernet port. the DOWN side of the canon
adapter is when you gotta charge your camera battery
you have to remove the adapter each time. TOTAL WTF!
PHOTOlink

Postby hyachts on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:52 am

I bought mine from Photojojo - the price was decent and I gambled that they had vetted the adapter. Seems to have paid off so far.
hyachts

CF Card from Idruna

Postby PHOTOlink on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:28 am

I know Paul from Idruna-great british chap, very nice to work with
so you should be all set then...
PHOTOlink

Re: CF to SD adapter

Postby smudger32 on Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:45 am

I tried using my Eye-Fi Card in a SD to CF adapter with a Canon 5D. It did not work.
I suspected that the metal side plates were stopping the signal so I removed the plates using a very small screw driver.
One side plate just covers plastic, the other side covers the components. To cover up and insulate/protect the components I used a strip of plastic parcel tape.
It now works inside my Canon 5D.
I have not yet tried to see how far away from the Router it works.
My next step will be to use a pocket router so that I can use the Eye-Fi card with my laptop at Events etc.
smudger32

Postby jonathonwatkins on Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:03 pm

smudger32 wrote:I have not yet tried to see how far away from the Router it works.
My next step will be to use a pocket router so that I can use the Eye-Fi card with my laptop at Events etc.

Nice. It works kind of OKish with my 40D. I had mixed results at the last event I tried it out at, as it kept dropping out. I've just ordered a +12db aerial from Hong Kong - which should really help with the router range.
jonathonwatkins

Postby clicknz on Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:19 pm

Hi all,
I'm occasionally using the Eye-Fi card in a Jobo SD/SDHC CF card adapter in my Canon 5D via an Airport Express base station - I'm a professional photographer & like be able to view the shots I take on a computer monitor soon after they're taken. All works very well - particularly when shooting only medium-sized jpeg files. I'm getting hold-ups when shooting RAW plus jpeg files - what seems to be happening is that the RAW files are written very slowly to the card & the jpeg is not sent until the RAW file is fully written. This gets to be a long delay when shooting a burst of more than 3-4 images & I'm wondering if this is caused by slow-writing flash storage on the Eye-Fi card, or a hold-up because I'm using the CF-SD adapter?? Any thoughts on this, or whether it's possible to configure the card to send the jpeg before the RAW file is fully written?? Thanks.

Mike
clicknz

Postby smudger32 on Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:55 am

Hi,

Syncrotech have made an SD - Compact Flash adapter specifically for the Eye-Fi card, see,

http://www.synchrotech.com/products/med ... mc-01.html

The pocket router made by Dlink can take the power from a USB port, I have set one of these up in AP mode so that I can use it with my Laptop so that I can see and display the photos when on location.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=346

The trick with setting up the Dlink pocket router, is to set it up exactly the same as yourstudio/home system so that the eye-fi card works in the studio/home and then with the laptop when on location without any configuration changes.

To run a slideshow I am using photo mechanic, the live mode watches the eye-fi folder and displays new photos as they are downloaded.

http://www.camerabits.com/site/index.html

With this set up I can take and display photos anywhere.

Mick
smudger32

Postby WTW on Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:05 pm

Last night I used the CF to SD adapter from Photojojo in a Canon 40D. Works great!
WTW

Postby TheSlasher on Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:45 pm

A friend tried one of these adapters today in the Nikon D700 and it wouldn't fit. For some reason, Nikon made the decision to only support CF Type I and these adapters are usually CF Type II. I really hope a CF version is eventually launched.
TheSlasher

Postby Rory on Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:32 pm

If you are not happy with the range of the card with a CF adapter, you may want to google alternative firmware for your router. There are some very popular ones available and they typically have an option to dramatically increase the range of your router signal, which could solve the problem or limited range with an eye-fi is used with a CF adapter. Just a thought...
Rory

Postby Doug on Wed May 27, 2009 7:10 am

I have a Canon 30D and would love to have this option away from home.

I saw this post on the photojojo site under their FAQ:

Q: What if my camera takes CompactFlash (CF), MemoryStick, xD, or something else?

A: You'll need a CF Adapter, but a bit of warning, the CF Adapter only works with the 2GB Eye-Fi Home.

Does anyone know if that's true? Do CF adapters only work with the 2GB Eye-Fi home card?
Doug

Postby hyachts on Wed May 27, 2009 8:04 am

Doug wrote:I have a Canon 30D and would love to have this option away from home.

I saw this post on the photojojo site under their FAQ:

Q: What if my camera takes CompactFlash (CF), MemoryStick, xD, or something else?

A: You'll need a CF Adapter, but a bit of warning, the CF Adapter only works with the 2GB Eye-Fi Home.

Does anyone know if that's true? Do CF adapters only work with the 2GB Eye-Fi home card?

The only thing that might affect the compatibility is SD vs. SDHC. The 2GB card is SD, the 4GB is SDHC - so to use a CF adapter with the 4GB card it must be SDHC compatible. FWIW - the CF adapter I bought from photojojo a little over a year ago works with my 4GB card fine, but they may have changed the kind of CF adapter they're supplying since then.
hyachts

Postby Doug on Wed May 27, 2009 8:30 am

hyachts,

thanks for the note. i'll check in with photojojo and make sure I get a cf adapter that's SDHC compatible.
Doug

Postby Doug on Wed May 27, 2009 9:56 am

photojojo doesn't appear to be selling CF adapters anywhere that I can find.

is the one at this link below still good?

http://www.synchrotech.com/products/media-adapters-compactflash_eye-fi_sdhc_mmc-01.html
Doug

Postby Doug on Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:46 pm

Hi ... just wanted to follow up.

I purchased the Eye-Fi Pro card and the CF adapter at photojojo for $185.98.

After formatting the card with my Canon 30D, it worked fine at home and at my office, both of which are password encrypted.

However, I'm at McDonalds right now and, apparently, because the McDonalds wifi network has a "splash" screen and requires some sort of login, I'm not yet clear about whether i can use the card in the way I'd expected to - to put it in a camera, shoot photos, and just walk into a McDonalds with the camera on, order a drink while the picture is sent, and leave.

There appears to be some sort of need - at least in this case without access to a truly "open" network - for a laptop. Not sure if I'm cool with that, but once you've got the card aimed at your photo site, and there is access, the images arrive within 12-35 seconds. This is the kind of thing that could make print newspapers a lot more viable - today's pictures in today's paper.
Doug

Postby MadDawgJ on Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:04 am

1st. Doug, McDs uses Wayport Hotspots, the Pro card will join these if you have Hotspots enabled on the card. The Problem is some McDs "hide" the router way in the back so you may have an issue with signal strength.

2nd. Use CF adapters at your own risk, I've seen them kill and Eye-Fi Card in as little as 2 days of use, there is a reason that they are not support, so understand that you are risking your card before you use them. If you are okay with that, then shoot away. :D
MadDawgJ

Postby dangoch on Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:26 pm

I have a eye-fi pro card and a syncrotech sdhc cf adapter. I put them in a nikon d300 and after some startup issues, it seems to be ok. I did get a corrupted card before I formatted it on camera. Only tried a few shots since, but they seem to be ok. Had an extensive exchange with eye-fi support and other than the typical CF cards are not supported, they have helped me out and been very supportive. I'll keep my fingers crossed that all will work fine. I guess time will tell. Keep us informed as to how things go.
dangoch

Postby stefdnk on Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:25 pm

Ivan wrote:Just wanted to know if you folks have tested your card in a CF to SD adapter. My cameras do not have SD card slots.

Thanx

No luck on a Nikon D3.
:?
stefdnk

Re: CF1 to SDHC adapter

Postby macfrank1 on Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:33 am

hello ,

I can find any CF1 ! to SDHC adapter to use a eye-fi Pro Card with a Nikon D700 - does anybody know why they are all CF2 , which I cant use in the Nikon.??
Any solution found ?
Reason for the Pro is the AdHoc connection with a Probook - should be easier ...?
Thanks for help

macfrank1
macfrank1

Postby simsek73 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:35 am

simsek73

Postby simsek73 on Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:57 am

Nikon D700 --> CF TYPE 1
Well boys, there's only from Panasonic CF TYPE 1, search the internet is not possible.
Minolta SD-CF1 --> only sd cards up to 512 MB
Panasonic BN-SDCF1E --> wikipedia only in German http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/CompactFlash
simsek73

Postby 360bg on Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:40 pm

In this tread I saw some people that use eye-fi on 5d. May I ask is there any evolution here? I've got 5d2 and from years use only RAW not JPG. Is there anyone that have working eye-fy pro on 5d2?
360bg

Postby rick79 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:15 pm

360bg wrote:In this tread I saw some people that use eye-fi on 5d. May I ask is there any evolution here? I've got 5d2 and from years use only RAW not JPG. Is there anyone that have working eye-fy pro on 5d2?

Yes - I just finished the setup with my 5DMK II and it works flawlessly. Thanks to the Manager, you can disable RAW uploads and only send small jpg's to your PC which can actually fulfill the same purpose/functions as the Wireless Grip from Canon (sold for $1000). Of course, you will need a SD to CF card adapter... but those are available all over the web.

I compared the speed of upload between the SD card just in my regular P&S Canon SD1000 camera vs my 5DMark II (using the CF card adapter) and pictures seem to take about 1-2 seconds more to load with the adapter. Still acceptable (according to me).
rick79

Postby 360bg on Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:26 pm

... AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Rick- thanks thanks thanks!!!
Just in case may I ask about the adapter's model?
"you can disable RAW uploads and only send small jpg's to your PC which can actually fulfill the same purpose" that works for me just fine. :D
Rick- U made my day, after a week of reading and searching...
360bg

Postby rick79 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:17 pm

360bg wrote:... AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Rick- thanks thanks thanks!!!
Just in case may I ask about the adapter's model?
"you can disable RAW uploads and only send small jpg's to your PC which can actually fulfill the same purpose" that works for me just fine. :D
Rick- U made my day, after a week of reading and searching...

Glad I could help - I know how it feels when you're desperately looking for info before committing to a purchase!

Although you disable RAW files being uploaded, they are still getting written to the card, so by the time the full 21MP + jpg is written, it takes about 10-12 seconds to get displayed on the monitor. Not too bad... but could be better!

My adapter is a generic one I bought off Ebay last year... it does not have any brand. It's dark blue, and it's written: SD/SDHC CF Card Adapter. Made in Taiwan and (tested to comply with FCC standards) and there is a serial id. I think I had paid about 10-15$. A lot of people say they have removed the metal casing around the card to improve the range...I'm afraid of risking breaking anything.

Cheers!
rick79

Postby tailwheel234 on Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:34 pm

Ok, I just got a new Nikon D200 (new to me at least). I really would like to get an Eye-Fi going on it.
Can anyone provide me with the right adapter to buy and the proper Eye-Fi to make the outfit?
Maybe some links to the proper stuff?!
Planning on connecting through a local wireless network to a MacBook Pro with Photo mechanic running a slide show.
Thanks,
I appreciate it!
tailwheel234

Postby astroyny on Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:42 pm

The Delkin Devices SD to CF adapter did NOT work with my Canon Eos 5D mkII, it would not format the SD card.

I got a Delock SD to CF adapter from computerspirit.com in CA and it works great.
astroyny

Next

Return to Eye-Fi Card