Do I need an account?

Help troubleshooting your Eye-Fi Card

Do I need an account?

Postby turnstylenyc on Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:47 am

Hi all, I don't own an Eye-Fi card yet, doing my pre-purchase homework first.

One detail I don't quite get: I'll only use the card (Pro X2) to transfer files from my camera to my laptop, and not to sharing sites/services.

Do I need to connect to Eye-Fi for that? An account with Eye-Fi?

It seems all I should need is the Eye-Fi card, and perhaps to download a firmware update if applicable -- as is the case with all other hardware I have -- is that not the case with this?
turnstylenyc

Re: Do I need an account?

Postby MikeV on Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:30 pm

Yes, an account will still need to be established, if for nothing other than product registration purposes. An internet connection is needed in order to set up the account and to set up the initial wireless network on the card to complete the process. The account may not be used beyond that initial registration, but creating one is required nonetheless.
My cameras: Nikon D90, Panasonic ZS7
My Eye-Fi: 8GB Pro X2
MikeV

Postby turnstylenyc on Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:16 pm

Thanks -- I've read some misgivings about having to open up the firewall, is that necessary? If so, is that only when installing?
turnstylenyc

Postby MikeV on Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:15 am

In order for the card to talk directly to the computer for the purpose of transferring pictures, it may be necessary to either reduce your firewall security level, or allow the Eye-Fi Helper process to accept incoming connections (depending on what kind of firewall software you're running on your computer). This would need to be done for regular operation of the Eye-Fi card.

If you will always be transferring photos via Ad-Hoc wireless connection to your Eye-Fi card, then when you set up the ad-hoc network, you may be able to select a lower firewall security setting for that network (again, depending on what kind of firewall software you're running on your computer).
My cameras: Nikon D90, Panasonic ZS7
My Eye-Fi: 8GB Pro X2
MikeV

Postby turnstylenyc on Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:02 am

So the card doesn't act as a network client? ie, I'm not simply granting write access to a folder on my laptop, to a corresponding 'camera account' that the camera uses?
turnstylenyc

Return to Eye-Fi Card