I have an Eye-Fi Mobile X2--Direct Mode?

Help troubleshooting your Eye-Fi Card

I have an Eye-Fi Mobile X2--Direct Mode?

Postby jukie1 on Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:42 pm

Hello,
Maybe I'm missing something, but it is my understanding that I paid $79 for the Mobile eye-fi card to be able to transfer my camera photos to my iphone. I'm unable to discover how this is done. I see that current owners of eye-fi cards will be able to upgrade to this direct mode feature some time in the future, but shouldn't mine already be activated with the new card?
jukie1

Re: I have an Eye-Fi Mobile X2--Direct Mode?

Postby rawpix on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:23 pm

Same for me. Just bought it at Best Buy, box plainly makes that the biggest selling point, Direct Connect, and it is not there!
Very frustrating.

box1.jpg
Front of retail box
box1.jpg (122.3 KiB) Viewed 8378 times
box2.jpg
Back of Box
box2.jpg (189.6 KiB) Viewed 8378 times
rawpix

Postby berend on Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:45 pm

rawpix wrote:Same for me. Just bought it at Best Buy, box plainly makes that the biggest selling point, Direct Connect, and it is not there! Very frustrating.

The product was supposed to start selling at Best Buy on April 17th, which is tomorrow, but it sounds like a few stores have decided to not work as much on the weekend to stock the shelves and have started selling them. The desktop software and the firmware for the Mobile X2 cards (which would have been installed automatically during initial set up) will be available a bit after midnight tonight, so tomorrow morning please select "Check for Updates" from the Eye-Fi icon menu in the Finder menu bar on OS X or the system tray on Windows to update the desktop software. Then, please delete the Mobile X2 card from your account and re-add to pick up the firmware update for it. You'll also be able to get the companion Android app at that time and we're waiting for a word from the Apple app store approval process on the unveiling of the iPhone/iPad app.

Our apologies for the confusion - please bear with us for ~24 hours.

Berend

P.S.: Folks who are waiting to upgrade their existing cards to this firmware version, you'll need to wait for a few more days despite what's been implied in the PR release. There were a few wires crossed there and what was meant to be said was that the firmware update for existing cards would become available later in the same week the cards become available at Best Buy.
berend
Eye-Fi'er

Postby jukie1 on Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:39 am

Thanks for your reply. I'm attempting to upgrade the firmware on my card, and each time the upgrade fails, on two separate computers. Please advise.
jukie1

Postby MPTitus on Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:40 am

Berend -- I'm trying to update my existing card, and I'm on a time crunch. Eye-Fi staff promised me this update (and the app) would be available this week (well, last week, now). I have to have it up and running before Thursday, or I have to go pay Apple $50 for an adapter prior to leaving on a week-long trip. I hope you can live up to that promise!
MPTitus

Postby TAB83 on Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:05 am

I too keep getting the failed firmware update. There's no firmware update notification next to devices, but it prompts me when I go to the direct mode tab. It seems to fail in the download process and it's happening almost immediately after I click update.
TAB83

Postby josh on Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:07 am

FYI if you delete your current eye-fi account and create a new one you WILL be able to upgrade your firmware to include Direct Mode. I just did it on my existing card.
josh

Postby rawpix on Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:15 am

Jukie - If you have the Mobile X2 Card like I bought last night, it didn't come with the direct connect firmware installed. I was able to update the EyeFi Center Software first, but I had to make sure a card was not in the reader. Just check for updates from the EyeFi helper(if using Mac)

To update the card I had to delete it from my account and then let it re-initialize and attach to EyeFi Center account. At that time it said there was a firmware update.

Still odd that it would not ship with the firmware for direct connect installed when that is what is printed on the box.

And still only ANDROID app is available for Direct Connect and not iOS for iphone,ipad, etc.....even though the box says that is INCLUDED. grrr. I do understand there is a point in product development where you have to pull the trigger on a lot decisions based on what other companies are doing for your product, and waiting for Apple to approve an APP can take forever or just a few hours!

I do use ShutterSnitch on the company iPad (I work at a newspaper) and it seems to connect to the DIRECT TRANSFER hotspot created by the Mobile X2 card when it's in a camera, but still trying to get the iPhone to connect(works when plugged into computer, but iphone won't see it when the card is in the camera)
rawpix

Postby jukie1 on Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:21 am

Update: Ok, I'm settled down now :) and got things straightened out. For others, yes, delete your account (just make sure all your pics are saved on your computer, although mine were still on the card after re-registering). Remove and replace the eye-fi card in the card reader in your computer. Open the helper, if it doesn't automatically open, and once the card is recognized you can sign up again. I used same email and password and re-confirmed my email address.

How the hell do I create a new account???? Per advice here, I deleted my account, nothing is recognized. Very frustrated

Thanks @rawpix. How exactly do I delete the card?

I unregistered the card, but now it won't let me go on. It says it doesn't belong to me.
Last edited by jukie1 on Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
jukie1

Postby ykoren on Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:43 am

jukie1 wrote:How the hell do I create a new account???? Per advice here, I deleted my account, nothing is recognized. Very frustrated

I unregistered the card, but now it won't let me go on. It says it doesn't belong to me.

try ejecting and reinserting the card. you should be prompted to create an account or add it to an existing account.
ykoren
Eye-Fi'er

Postby MPTitus on Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:18 pm

The workaround worked. Now I just need an iOS app with Direct Mode to go with it...
MPTitus

Postby lakmus on Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:20 pm

ykoren wrote:
jukie1 wrote:How the hell do I create a new account???? Per advice here, I deleted my account, nothing is recognized. Very frustrated

try ejecting and reinserting the card. you should be prompted to create an account or add it to an existing account.

I did, but I'm still getting following message:
"Firmware update of 'Eye-Fi Card' failed.
Please re-insert 'Eye-Fi Card' and try again.
Contact support if the problem persists."

I've tried re-inserting the card various times and rebooted my computer. It shows that the newest update is 4.5021.

edit: Same problem with my Windows 7 laptop, as if the update file would not exist although it recognized that the update is available..
Last edited by lakmus on Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lakmus

Postby Peter Richards on Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:34 pm

berend wrote:
rawpix wrote:Same for me. Just bought it at Best Buy, box plainly makes that the biggest selling point, Direct Connect, and it is not there! Very frustrating.

The product was supposed to start selling at Best Buy on April 17th, which is tomorrow, but it sounds like a few stores have decided to not work as much on the weekend to stock the shelves and have started selling them. The desktop software and the firmware for the Mobile X2 cards (which would have been installed automatically during initial set up) will be available a bit after midnight tonight, so tomorrow morning please select "Check for Updates" from the Eye-Fi icon menu in the Finder menu bar on OS X or the system tray on Windows to update the desktop software. Then, please delete the Mobile X2 card from your account and re-add to pick up the firmware update for it. You'll also be able to get the companion Android app at that time and we're waiting for a word from the Apple app store approval process on the unveiling of the iPhone/iPad app.

Our apologies for the confusion - please bear with us for ~24 hours.

Berend

P.S.: Folks who are waiting to upgrade their existing cards to this firmware version, you'll need to wait for a few more days despite what's been implied in the PR release. There were a few wires crossed there and what was meant to be said was that the firmware update for existing cards would become available later in the same week the cards become available at Best Buy.

so, who looses their job on this massive customer confusion? Why in the HECK would a product release at a retailer cause the online update of firmware for existing customers to be delayed or postponed? and why wouldn't you release the ios app earlier to apple to make sure it's available at the SAME TIME as the android markets "open system" for releasing apps? This isn't rocket science if we are being told the truth on these issues?

Instead, you have existing customers updating software to version 3.3 and then it's showing a bunch of confusing responses to options that are not yet workable and then you have to try and band aid it with a PR on something about wires being crossed.

Yikes!

BTW, need a product manager? I'm available.
Peter Richards

Postby dthreatt on Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:38 pm

I have wasted my whole weekend on this card.

I have 2 ipads (ipad 1 and 2) and iphone 4 with a canon g12 and canon 7d and cannot get this product to work

I purchased 4 different cards and NONE of them work as promised

I have upgraded the firmware on all the cards and the software on the computer

I have the eye fi 8gb pro x2, goe, connect x2, and mobile x2.

the mobile x2 did allow firmware update for direct mode....but the POS wont allow ANY device to connect to it....not even my laptop.

just keeps saying connection timed out.

you cant even rename the network or change the password on the card

the only card that works in the 5 different CF to SD adpaters I have is the geo (the oldest card)

none of the x2 cards work in the CF to SD adapters.

no ios software as well

why wont my card allow devices to connect to it.

UPDATE: my neighbor is having the exact same issue. this is ludicrous!!!

photo.PNG
photo.PNG (430.31 KiB) Viewed 7907 times
dthreatt

Postby drosoph on Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:53 am

I used the unregister/reregister to get my Pro X2 to find the newest firmware. Just waiting on the iOS App now :)
I'm pretty impressed with the work so far. Congrats guys!
drosoph

Postby countryfarmboy on Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:24 am

Hmm,

Lucky me, when I got to unregister my Eye-Fi, it is grayed out. I tried removing and starting the Eye-Fi Center and the card many times. It also shows I have version 4.2172 and the upgrade is 4.2172.

Interesting..
countryfarmboy

Postby oshead on Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:48 am

No need to delete your account. Just remove the card from your account, close Eye-Fi Center then. Re-open the eye-fi center, insert the card and follow the instructions.... :D Worked fine for me.
oshead

Postby Sony311 on Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:09 am

Just a heads up that SD to CF adapters are notorious to not work. It is discussed in multiple threads.

dthreatt wrote:I have wasted my whole weekend on this card.

I have 2 ipads (ipad 1 and 2) and iphone 4 with a canon g12 and canon 7d and cannot get this product to work

I purchased 4 different cards and NONE of them work as promised

I have upgraded the firmware on all the cards and the software on the computer

I have the eye fi 8gb pro x2, goe, connect x2, and mobile x2.

the mobile x2 did allow firmware update for direct mode....but the POS wont allow ANY device to connect to it....not even my laptop.

just keeps saying connection timed out.

you cant even rename the network or change the password on the card

the only card that works in the 5 different CF to SD adpaters I have is the geo (the oldest card)

none of the x2 cards work in the CF to SD adapters.

no ios software as well

why wont my card allow devices to connect to it.

UPDATE: my neighbor is having the exact same issue. this is ludicrous!!!

photo.PNG
Sony311

Postby danb on Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:59 pm

The iOS Eye-Fi Application has been approved and is now live in the app store.
Need help? Contact us directly: http://support.eye.fi/contact-support
danb
Eye-Fi'er

Postby shazinaz on Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:26 am

Thank you so much for these info.
shazinaz

Postby atkhersham on Wed May 29, 2013 5:39 am

When can we anticipate this to be available. Past weblog says by end of 2012. We are desperately awaiting the new edition of PrimeFaces Cellular.
atkhersham

Return to Eye-Fi Card