Please fire your product manager, hire one who has a clue.

Help troubleshooting your Eye-Fi Card

Please fire your product manager, hire one who has a clue.

Postby pesco on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:55 am

Your desktop software is completely unusable. I keep hoping an upgrade will come along that changes everything, but no, it's always the same old piece of unusable and useless software.
What in the world have you been doing for the last year?
Working on the iPhone software? Wow, that may even be worse than the desktop software. Good job.
Working on the revolutionary 5.0 firmware? Uhm, what exactly changed from 4.5 exactly besides the connection to the network dropping after each and every picture upload and staying disconnected in eyefi limbo until I re-add the network manually through the desktop software, which says no wireless networks detected but if i refresh the list it immediately finds the network?

When things work just fine, I am just glad it works, I just avoid looking at your software, and enjoy my pictures elsewhere. It's no use anyway, there's no way to understand what kind of progress is going on...
How about some kind of basic live counters, like "15 of 435 pictures remaining", or at least some basic live status, like "card is connected and uploading" or "card has crapped out for no good reason and it's not uploading anything right now"? or at least "last time we heard from your card was X minutes ago"?
I understand when the card is in the camera you may not be able to give full status details, especially when there's a connection problem. But how about some more intelligence in showing what's going on at least when the card is plugged into the computer?
How about some better indication of picture progress or errors instead of just that stupid progress bar that when there's a problem just keeps flashing forever (and i mean forever if enough time has passed that you have to go to the next day to find out the same picture was happily uploaded...). The transfer was interrupted. ok, so what? what are you doing about it? are you trying again? is there a problem? will i ever get the picture? have you given up? is this included in the total count for the day? why is the counter under the day's thumbnail different than the count in the day's view? what's going on? what are you counting exactly and where? come on!
How about some better email notifications? Upload completed? Really? How is that possible if I know there's still hundreds of pictures that aren't showing up in my photo sharing site? You mean "15 pictures were uploaded, but we are still waiting for 167 more except your card stopped talking to us for no good reason before it finished!"
How about "Oh, and by the way, one of those 167 pictures is actually a 500MB video, of which 150MB have already come through, the other 350MB are pending, we'll let you know when that comes through without restarting the whole upload"?
How about a view that shows ALL pictures currently on the card (at least filename placeholders, better if thumbnails) ordered by the time pictures were taken instead of the random order in which pictures were uploaded further randomized by occasional unexpected failures, interruptions, restarts, change of dates, etc.? just show me a timeline of my pictures in the order the pictures were taken, then show me their status. If a picture you were aware of got deleted, just put a big red X over it, or if you must, just remove it from the timeline. Don't just leave it there with a stupid progress bar when no progress is being made and never will!
Enable direct mode when no network is in range... ok, can you be a little more explicit? what happens when a network comes in range? will i be stuck with direct mode? or will it stop it? or will it stop only if no client is connected to the direct mode network? How about you let me choose my own damn wifi password for direct mode so I can actually connect to it when I am out on the road and my iphone doesn't remember the password you decided for me, nor do I?
and hey, i just installed your little iphone app, can you please let me upload all the pictures already on the iphone without me selecting them one by one? and can you please just keep pushing each and every picture i ever take from then on without forgetting or letting me forget what i have already uploaded from before i installed your software so i can be confident i can finally delete those pictures from the iphone? no, instead i am stuck with a full memory on the iphone and endless copies of the same hundreds of pictures in many different computers, but no idea what made it through to the photo sharing site, because you couldn't just give me that information.
and hey, you know what? i use a NAS, so, thank you for letting me upload pictures to an FTP site, that's great. but no, it's completely useless that you do, because if i upload to an ftp site i cannot upload to my photo sharing site. great. instead, you really really want me to upload to a computer - i guess i could just have a apped drive on my computer to the NAS... but now, see, I have like 5 different computers, and every time I'd have to tell the card to start saving to that one i am using right then... useless. And what exactly happens to my pictures that weren't stored on the currently paired up computer because I didn't use it for more than a month? Who the hell knows - nobody tells me.
Argh. great idea. very poor execution. I hope somebody buys you out or a competitor comes along. I hope you don't have a patent on this. somebody should be allowed to do much better than you at your idea.
thanks.
pesco

Re: Please fire your product manager, hire one who has a clu

Postby runbuh on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:45 am

Maybe the SD Association's new Wireless LAN announcement will inject a little passion into the good Eye-Fi folks. Competition is good for the soul.

Engadget Hands On: http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/11/toshiba-flashair-hands-on/
runbuh

Postby grablife on Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:52 pm

I didn't read your whole rant but I feel you. I am evaluating the card for an article and I can't even get the most basic of functions to work. I am very technical and I take basic functions for granted but it seems the folks at Eye-fi consider basic functions optional features. I can't even get the images from the card to the hd via usb. I have to keep exiting and restarting the software just to upload 5 pictures and then nothing. Repeat the process and it might upload or it might not. Very frustrating. This product showed so much promise.
grablife

Postby MikesTooLz on Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:34 am

I agree, with the amount of time that Eye-Fi has been around I expected things to be greatly improved. But they seem focused on only adding new non functional items to the cards feature list in order to sell more cards. Then the features that are added are not clearly explained how they even work.
MikesTooLz

Postby Peter Galbavy on Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:21 am

Ditto. They eventually swapped my card and so far it's worked at the most simple level. I dare not use it for any "professional" uses.

From my experience of "start-ups" Eye-Fi are in a mode where they are aiming to maximise the sale price of the company and not the quality or utility of the products.

It was sushc a cool idea, way back when.
Peter Galbavy

Postby randhirv on Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:00 am

Thank you for being Eye-Fi customers and for sharing your thoughts and suggestions on the product experience. We are sorry that it didn't meet your expectations.

We are already hard at work on various parts of the product and service to provide better feedback on what's happening, how to fix things when they aren't working and just working more reliably in general. We thank you for your patience. Unfortunately, I can't comment on the timeframe yet, but our forum users will be among the first to know when it is ready.

Randhir
randhirv
Eye-Fi'er

Postby grablife on Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:24 am

Randhir,

I'm trying my best not to knock your product in my article but I tell you it's hard with all the problems I'm having. I have to resort to writing about very specific incidences of it working and issue a warning to buy from a retailer who accepts returns. Some of my problems may be attributable to a bad card but from reading these posts, I'm not so sure. Right now, I can't even get the card to stay recognized in any usb ports. It shows up for about 5 seconds and poof it's gone. I finally managed to get it recognized long enough to format the card but still the same problem. I have never been able to do a single thing on this card without calling tech support or reading the forum. My current problem is that the card is not uploading to a hotspot. I got some diagnostic steps from support and will try it but I've installed entire Linux distros with less headaches.
grablife

Postby randhirv on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:23 am

Grablife, if the card is showing up only for a few seconds and then it's gone, it sounds like a faulty card reader. You can refer to to this thread when you send a ticket to Support and they will send you a replacement.

We look forward to you having a much better experience soon.

Randhir
randhirv
Eye-Fi'er

Postby tallrob on Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:54 am

So, it's been a year since this post, and not much has changed. The software is still terrible, with no progress indication. In fact, it's safe to say Eye-Fi hasn't done anything over the past year to improve the user experience, though I'm sure they've done much to increase their bottom line. So sad.
tallrob

Postby steve_s on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:37 pm

I, too, am finding it very hard to find anything redeeming to say about my first experiences with my new eye-fi. Wishing I had done better homework I suppose, so here are a few thoughts (and warnings) to anyone who happens upon this before dropping coin:
1. The software is incredibly unresponsive.
2. The interface and settings aren't intuitive in the least.
3. I've spent more than 3 hours and have yet to even manage movement of a single image from the card to desktop (either via wireless or usb.)
Prospective buyers beware.
steve_s

Postby ahinchcliffe on Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:45 pm

welcome to the forum steve, im sorry you are having a hard time setting your card up.

why not start a new thread detailing your problems and someone will try and take a look at it for you, im more than happy to help where i can but i can only help if help is asked for.
our website http://news.hinchcliffephotography.co.uk
also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/hinchcliffephotography
2* Eyefi 16GB Pro x2, 2* Eyefi 4GB Connect x2, 16gb & 32gb Mobi
Canon 500D Canon 350D EF 17-40 f4L, EF 70-200 f4L
ahinchcliffe

Postby steve_s on Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:38 pm

I sincerely appreciate the offer, but in all honesty ahinchcliffe, the words I used very much sum up my experience. I could be more explicit with screenshots showing the hangs and a discussion about interface builds and navigation, but there is a minimum level of performance I expect to see before I should have to start technical troubleshooting. I'm no slouch technically, and I'm pretty familiar with how hardware/software should reasonably be expected to perform. If it takes a community to troubleshoot from install, that, too, says something about the maturity level of the product. Again, I appreciate the offer, but I'm not asking for help. I was just offering an opinion for someone considering a purchase.
steve_s

Postby ahinchcliffe on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:25 pm

ok cool, i guess You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time
our website http://news.hinchcliffephotography.co.uk
also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/hinchcliffephotography
2* Eyefi 16GB Pro x2, 2* Eyefi 4GB Connect x2, 16gb & 32gb Mobi
Canon 500D Canon 350D EF 17-40 f4L, EF 70-200 f4L
ahinchcliffe

Postby ihartley on Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:29 pm

Well I quite LOVE the product. I would like it to do more, but.... I use a Canon camera and Android smartphone, and most of all like it because:
- it uploads to my NAS via FTP so even if I lose the camera I have the photos
- I don't have to plug the camera in (lazy).

BUT:
- the Android app sometimes "crashes" and eats the battery (CPU is smoking!)
- the ability to sync photos via a number of PCs/devices is sorely missing (I want to share my photos with my wife's phone and vice versa)
- the extra costs for Geo-tagging and Wi-fi login are ludicrous. A big fail for the product/marketing managers

IMHO you have little time to get your product sorted. Android cameras are already a reality, and camera quality is always getting better and cheaper. You still have some USPs but for how long??

Whilst I said I love the product, maybe I just love the concept. I can agree with the OP, it's a good idea and mediocre execution. IMHO.
ihartley

Postby jezza on Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:58 pm

Having struggled with a card for a year or so, I agree with all of the frustrations other users are having, and no there has been zero improvement over the year. I have had two replacement cards issued by Eye-Fi but the product is still unreliable, and above all FRUSTRATING! I am a professional user, if i get to a venue and find I need to use my card to transfer pictures from my own camera to my own laptop and into a specific folder for that day, I can't set it up without my laptop having Internet access! This is just madness and frequently renders the product useless.

A practical suggestion if anyone at Eye-Fi is interested in listening. PLEASE put some overall pictoral diagrams on your web site of how the hell the whole system works and what needs to communicate with what when! It is all so convoluted, obsfuscated and poorly documented for the poor user who has no clue as to what on earth is trying to communicate with what. A clear diagram and explanation covering the different scenarios would at least help clear up some of the confusion. Just browsing a handful of posts here shows the overall confusion many users experience with the system architecture.
jezza

Return to Eye-Fi Card