internet required for direct mode

Andoid related discussion relating to the Eye-Fi App for Android devices

internet required for direct mode

Postby tiger20 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:27 am

I've just started using eyefi.

It transfers to my android directly as described with no internet connection.

Why then do I have to sign in on the android to use the app? This means I cannot start up the app when there is no Internet connection. :(

I know if I start up the app when online it will continue to work when not online.
tiger20

Re: internet required for direct mode

Postby jsun on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:02 am

hello tiger20,

The Eye-Fi app should work fine when you have no internet connection. The app remembers your account and card information even when you're offline, so you can upload from the card to Android no matter where you are. Just make sure the device's wi-fi remains turned on.

The next time you're away from your own wi-fi network, give it a try - disconnect the device from any 3G/4G data network you use, shoot some new photos onto the Eye-Fi card, and leave the camera on to see if they transfer.

Please contact us directly (link below) if there's anything more we can help with.

Thanks!
Need help? Contact us directly: support.eye.fi/contact-support
jsun
Eye-Fi'er

Postby tiger20 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:41 pm

I think there is still a problem.

Suppose I go on a trip in the hills with my android and my camera + eyefi card.

My phone is switched off to conserve the battery.

I switch my phone on. I take a photo with the camera. Now I want to start the eyefi app to load my photos - but no I cant because the eyefi server cannot be contacted to start up the android app.

Again why do I need to sign in to use the app??:?
tiger20

Postby jsun on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:38 pm

What you've described should work fine - the phone does not need to reach the internet at that point. Just turn on the phone and your camera, and your photos should transfer, no matter where you are. Typically you don't even need to open the Eye-Fi app.

The only time the app absolutely needs to connect to the internet is the very first time you set it up. This is necessary so the app knows which Eye-Fi card(s) to communicate with. Once the app is set to receive photos from your card, you're done adjusting the settings, so please leave the app settings alone at that point. Press the back button in your phone and return to the Media screen where you see your photos. Typically the app will never need to connect to the internet again if you are only sending photos to your phone via Direct Mode.

Please give it a try. If you receive a message from the Eye-Fi app that the phone needs to be online, it sounds like you're not on the Media screen with your photos. Please let us know exactly what screen you were viewing at the time so we can help.
jsun
Eye-Fi'er

Postby tiger20 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:52 am

Yes you are absolutely right.

I have been stupidly signing out of the app when finished with a session.

This has the effect of uninitialising the connection.

Indeed the sign out page warns that you will not be able to connect.

Now I have eyefi working fine. :)

Can you explain why I need to sign on to the internet to pair up my camera with my phone?

I would have thought this could be done between the phone and camera alone
tiger20

Postby jsun on Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:48 am

Ah, now it makes sense! Glad to hear it's working now. I would definitely recommend staying signed in to the app, unless you want to stop using the app on your phone, or perhaps use it with a different Eye-Fi account.

That's just the way our system works - in order to tell any device (phone, computer, etc.) which Eye-Fi cards to communicate with, you'll need to have internet access and log in to your Eye-Fi account so we can retrieve the list of cards on your account.

Happy Eye-Fi-ing!
jsun
Eye-Fi'er

Postby tiger20 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:26 pm

Thanks for the explanation. I guess it prevents unauthorised copying of other peoples pictures :!:
tiger20

Return to Eye-Fi App for Android