Geotaging not working on MiFi or Hotel WiFi

Geo related discussion regarding the Geotagging Service

Geotaging not working on MiFi or Hotel WiFi

Postby dcb76107 on Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:41 pm

I carry the MiFi with me and uploads on the spot. It was tagging the photos in Fort Worth, TX when I am in Laramie, Wy. My MiFi was purchased when I lived in Fort Worth, Tx.

Why is it doing this?

Dean
dcb76107

Re: Geotaging not working on MiFi or Hotel WiFi

Postby hyachts on Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:49 am

dcb76107 wrote:I carry the MiFi with me and uploads on the spot. It was tagging the photos in Fort Worth, TX when I am in Laramie, Wy. My MiFi was purchased when I lived in Fort Worth, Tx.

Why is it doing this?

Dean

That's surprising, but only in that Skyhook happened to map Fort Worth while you had your MiFi on there. See www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks for some understanding of what's going on (note that EyeFi only uses the WPS part). In the absence of better results, it's apparently just using your MiFi that got mapped in Fort Worth.
hyachts

Postby ziv on Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:09 pm

Sam is correct. Feel free to contact Skyhook, so that they could remove you from their database of geotagged MAC addresses.

Thanks --

Ziv.
ziv
Eye-Fi'er

Postby MikeV on Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:20 am

Part of the problem with Skyhook is that their service will automatically update to include new access points. So if you have a MiFi in one location and you take pictures (or use an iPod Touch or iPhone running pre-3.2 iOS; Apple started using their own database with iOS 3.2 instead of Skyhook), it will pick up your location from the known access points, as well and send in any new AP MAC addresses as well.

So when you have an AP that moves, like a MiFi, it's not hard for it to be detected as somewhere that it's not really... especially if there are no other WiFi networks around.

But this is also where the self-healing part of the service comes into play. If it's detected in one location with other WiFi networks, then you move it to another location that also has known WiFi networks, the next time it is detected, it will be detected with a new set of networks and its location should be updated automatically. Of course, such an update could take a week or so to be realized, but it's part of how it should all work.
My cameras: Nikon D90, Panasonic ZS7
My Eye-Fi: 8GB Pro X2
MikeV

Postby hyachts on Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:15 pm

MikeV wrote:But this is also where the self-healing part of the service comes into play. If it's detected in one location with other WiFi networks, then you move it to another location that also has known WiFi networks, the next time it is detected, it will be detected with a new set of networks and its location should be updated automatically. Of course, such an update could take a week or so to be realized, but it's part of how it should all work.

One would hope that, in the age of rapidly proliferating mobile hotspots, their routine would instead learn to disregard APs that show up in different spots multiple times. If you lose the use of an occasional "fixed" hotspot because its owner moved three times in a year (for example), I think it's a small price to pay for not having a ton of false positives from MiFi's and the like.
hyachts

Postby arjaine06 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:48 am

I am also hoping to have something with a small price to pay. They should find the solution to that problem soon. Anyway, I really wanted to have the newest version of ipod and I just can’t wait to transfer all my song collections there.
Last edited by arjaine06 on Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
arjaine06

Postby LilyN on Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:40 pm

I am still having problems with this, any updates?

Lake Tahoe Hotels
Lake Tahoe Hotel
Last edited by LilyN on Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LilyN

Postby rajirahe on Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:37 pm

i am also having the same problem unable to recover from it :(
pls anyone help me to come out :(
rajirahe

Postby daiichi on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:37 pm

*sigh* you would think that the skyhook people would just go through their database and ignore all mifi MACs. But since, apparently they haven't--you've got to realize that Skyhook probably updates major cities on a more frequent schedule than smaller cities (which i assume Laremie, TX is).

But there *is* a solution: report your Mifi location yourself. Just go to the Skyhook page:

http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/submit_ap.php

And type in your geocoordinates and your mifi MAC address... then (once the XPS database updates--it could take 7 days), suddenly it'll only mistakenly tag all your pictures in Laremie.

The recommended thing for you to do, unfortunately, is to turn off your mifi unless you need it.
daiichi

Postby gillianreynolds on Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:46 am

The MiFi won't catch or boost the hotel's own WiFi signal. could get a USB WiFi adaptor working with the Vega - I have no idea how you'd work WiFi.

Thanks!
gillianreynolds

Postby michaelk on Sat May 07, 2011 10:09 am

As a work around can't you just turn the mifi off while actually shooting then turn it on after your done and have the eyeffi upload then?

I assume since the eyefi doesn't sniff the mifi mac while taking pictures it wont tag the photos?
michaelk

Postby nicksam on Tue May 17, 2011 11:43 am

It is hoped that in the era of the rapid proliferation of mobile hotspot, but ignored their daily learning access points, displayed in many different locations. If by chance you lose the use of a fixed hot spots, as its owner moved out three times a year , I think this is a small price to pay not a ton of false positives and the like from the MiFi.
nicksam

Postby SpenSa on Tue May 17, 2011 12:30 pm

michaelk wrote:As a work around can't you just turn the mifi off while actually shooting then turn it on after your done and have the eyeffi upload then?

I assume since the eyefi doesn't sniff the mifi mac while taking pictures it wont tag the photos?

You are correct with your assumption.
The card only stores the locations of photos when they were taken, not when they are uploading.
SpenSa

Postby raythomasn on Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:31 am

Downloading the limewire program will not get your in trouble, it is what you plan on downloading with it that may be troublesome. If your IP address is "logged" while downloading or attempting to download copyrighted material you could find yourself in a lawsuit, both with the copyright holder and the hotel who's internet you used. Limewire is a very poor way to get content btw. Use torrent files and you can download anywhere anytime ;)
raythomasn

Postby nageljj on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:09 am

Good day)) i need advice on the following question. Which Android version I need to run Geotag Photos Pro? Which is minimal display resolution required?
nageljj

Postby alfred001 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:28 pm

My MiFi too got mapped in Fort Worth. It is a database issue, so I think it is better to call the skyhook team and ask them to remove your MAC address from their database. It worked for me and hope it works for you too.
alfred001

Return to Geotagging