How to tell if an image has Geotagging

Geo related discussion regarding the Geotagging Service

How to tell if an image has Geotagging

Postby ekmerritt on Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:28 pm

If I were to look at an image in either Google Images or Flicker would I be able to tell if the image contained Geotagging info by possibly going to the property section of the image or would I have to download the photo and load it to a Geotagging program to tell?

Thank you.
ekmerritt

Re: How to tell if an image has Geotagging

Postby johndaly on Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:09 am

In Flickr you can click on the Actions menu and then 'View Exif info'. This displays the EXIF info where the geotag shold be. However, when I uploaded a geotagged photo and looked at it the location data in the EXIF info was not displayed.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53116725@N06/4900970130/

You refer to 'Google Images'. Do you mean images displayed in Goolge Earth? If so all these photos are geotagged as otherwise they would not be displayed. The geotag is shown when you view the full sized photo. (not the pop-up that appears first.) Or were you referring to Picasa or were you meaning images found as the result of a Google search?
johndaly

Postby MikeV on Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:11 am

I don't know about Google Images, but in Google Picasa there's a small map in the right hand column when you're looking at the picture that will have a pointer where the geotag lat/long are. Also, in Album view, there will usually be a map with the locations of all geotagged pictures in the album.
My cameras: Nikon D90, Panasonic ZS7
My Eye-Fi: 8GB Pro X2
MikeV

Postby MadDawgJ on Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:11 am

In both Flickr and Picasa the default account settings are to not show the geo-data (for privacy reasons) so you have to enable it.
MadDawgJ

Postby johndaly on Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:06 am

I wasn't aware of that option in Flickr, MadDawg. In fact the option is for whether the geotag data is uploaded or not so setting it to 'On' does not show the geotag in the EXIF data of previously uploaded pictures. I have now uploaded a geotagged photo with new setting and this can be found complete with geotag at http://www.flickr.com/photos/53116725@N06/4901309295/meta/
johndaly

Postby ekmerritt on Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:23 am

Thanks for the replies. I was also wondering about Facebook or MySpace. If I took a photo and uploaded it onto either one of these sites and it had the geotagging info attched to it. Could others then download it and see the info? It would seem as though one would definately want to know who was on his/her friends list.

Thanks!
ekmerritt

Postby dmourati on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:34 am

I heartily recommend using ExifTool. Here's an example of the geotagging and geocoding information added by Eye-Fi as shown via ExifTool.
exiftool DSC_1652.JPG

City : San Jose
Province-State : California
Country-Primary Location Name : United States
GPS Latitude : 37 deg 20' 12.00" N
GPS Latitude Ref : North
GPS Longitude : 121 deg 53' 21.00" W
GPS Longitude Ref : West
GPS Position : 37 deg 20' 12.00" N, 121 deg 53' 21.00" W
dmourati
Eye-Fi'er

Postby daiichi on Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:45 pm

If you just want to know if a picture is geotagged (and you don't need to see it on a map)--all you have to do is right click on the picture (assuming Windows Vista or above), and select Properties. Go to the "Details" tab and most (all?) of the interpreted EXIF tags are there. If the picture is geotagged, you'' see a GPS portion with the latitude and longitude.
daiichi

Postby nageljj on Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:56 am

Thanks a lot.
actually I know these 2 ways too.
but I would like to know, if I download the photos onto my PC, would I be able to read the geo exif?

And is it possible that I upload the photos to My Maps so that it shows the pic in the right location.
nageljj

Postby tinteena on Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:52 am

How do insert a pictures on myspace with a website link and how do i insert web links onto myspace? How do i insert a pictures onto myspace with a website link and when you click on it opens in a new window if thats possible. Also how do i insert a website link onto myspace.

Return to Geotagging