Do i need a router ??

Thinking about buying a card? New owner with questions? Join in and learn more.

Do i need a router ??

Postby surfingsmurf on Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:53 am

Hi, I have a wireless enabled computer, can i connect directly with it or do i need a router, not bothered about uploading to web.
surfingsmurf

Re: Do i need a router ??

Postby hyachts on Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:47 am

surfingsmurf wrote:Hi, I have a wireless enabled computer, can i connect directly with it or do i need a router, not bothered about uploading to web.

You can connect directly to the computer wirelessly, but only with the Pro card. It's the only model that supports "ad hoc" networking, which is what you're describing.
hyachts

Postby foice on Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:14 am

wow, I was about to ask exactly the same thing!
so is the following setup supported by the pro card?

i want to take pictures and have them instantaneously tranfered to the laptop (not using the router). in this way the laptop can show the pictures that I take at the same time that i take them (maybe connected to a beamer :) )

how many Mbytes per second can be actually be transfered over the wi-fi with your Eye-fi pro?
I am worried that even the maximal theoretical data throughput of the 802.11g wi-fi connection being 54 Mbit/sec will not be enough to transfer at the rate of typical prosumer cameras (in my case up to 4 pictures/sec and each picture 9 MBytes roughly)? Is there any experience in such a set-up?

Bye
Roberto
foice

Postby hyachts on Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:12 pm

foice wrote:wow, I was about to ask exactly the same thing!
so is the following setup supported by the pro card?

i want to take pictures and have them instantaneously tranfered to the laptop (not using the router). in this way the laptop can show the pictures that I take at the same time that i take them (maybe connected to a beamer :) )

how many Mbytes per second can be actually be transfered over the wi-fi with your Eye-fi pro?
I am worried that even the maximal theoretical data throughput of the 802.11g wi-fi connection being 54 Mbit/sec will not be enough to transfer at the rate of typical prosumer cameras (in my case up to 4 pictures/sec and each picture 9 MBytes roughly)? Is there any experience in such a set-up?

Bye
Roberto

Yes, you can transfer straight from the camera to a laptop using the Pro card. There are a lot of options for having them display as they arrive - search around here for some suggestions and even a program somebody wrote for just that purpose.

Eye-Fi doesn't publish transfer speeds that I've seen. I've experienced transfers of my ~4MB JPEGs in 4-5 sec each given good reception. Nowhere near what you're describing, but the card functions like a normal memory card, so they don't have to transfer at the rate you shoot. Once you're done shooting the photos will continue to transfer as long as the card is being powered by the camera. Note that the card doesn't delete the photos after they transfer, so you'll have to either change cards (and put the "down" card into something that powers it so the transfer can continue) or stop, wait for the transfer to complete, and then wipe the card every so often.

How often do you shoot that way, for how long and why? Even on the best of days no wireless (g) setup would support that kind of data transfer. They typically run at best about half the theoretical max, so 27 megabit/sec, or ~3.4 MB/s. So the best you could hope for is about 1 pic/3sec with any (g) solution.
hyachts

Postby surfingsmurf on Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:19 am

Once the home card is set up do you still need an internet connection to upload pictures to the computer via the router ?,( router hard wired to computer )
surfingsmurf

Postby JohnChong on Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:18 pm

hyachts wrote:Eye-Fi doesn't publish transfer speeds that I've seen. I've experienced transfers of my ~4MB JPEGs in 4-5 sec each given good reception. Nowhere near what you're describing, but the card functions like a normal memory card, so they don't have to transfer at the rate you shoot. Once you're done shooting the photos will continue to transfer as long as the card is being powered by the camera. Note that the card doesn't delete the photos after they transfer, so you'll have to either change cards (and put the "down" card into something that powers it so the transfer can continue) or stop, wait for the transfer to complete, and then wipe the card every so often.

When you were saying that you 4MB JPEGs were transfered in 4-5 seconds were u transferring it through a router or used ad-hoc? Also when u said that the card had to be powered to transfer the pics, i was wondering if there are any setting i could change into so that the pics still transfer to my computer while my camera (Cannon 500D) is turned off?
JohnChong

Postby MikeV on Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:56 am

JohnChong wrote:Also when u said that the card had to be powered to transfer the pics, i was wondering if there are any setting i could change into so that the pics still transfer to my computer while my camera (Cannon 500D) is turned off?

Some of the "Eye-Fi Connected" cameras that have additional features for Eye-Fi cards may keep the SD card slot powered while the card is transferring, even if the camera is off. It will then power down the card once all data has been transferred. If your camera is one of these models, you may want to read through the manual to see if this is supported
My cameras: Nikon D90, Panasonic ZS7
My Eye-Fi: 8GB Pro X2
MikeV

Postby JohnChong on Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:29 pm

MikeV wrote:Some of the "Eye-Fi Connected" cameras that have additional features for Eye-Fi cards may keep the SD card slot powered while the card is transferring, even if the camera is off. It will then power down the card once all data has been transferred. If your camera is one of these models, you may want to read through the manual to see if this is supported

Thanks I'll check it out
JohnChong

Return to Beginners